Toggle Menu

frequently asked insurance questions...

As independent insurance agents, we offer a wide variety of personal and commercial, common and specialty, insurance products from many different insurance companies. In fact, we are known for helping our customers with unique or difficult insurance situations. For example, even though Maryland is ranked #10 among states with the most coastline (NOAA Tidal Method) including the largest estuary in the United States, the Chesapeake Bay, many insurance companies do not offer coastal property or flood insurance to Maryland residents. McManus Insurance does offer flood insurance and coastal property insurance for primary and secondary waterfront homes & properties. We also offer skilled trade insurance, farm insurance, artisan insurance, gun & jewelry insurance, second home, vacation property, condo, motorcycle, ATV, travel trailer... and many other types of specialty and hard to find property and casualty insurance policies, including personal, independent contractor, business and corporate coverage.

  • Insurance Products & Coverage Types - A list of the various types of insurance products, policies and types of insurance coverage we currently offer through our partnerships with various insurance industry experts.
  • Insurance Carriers - A list of insurance carriers and insurance industry partners with whom we are currently associated.

In a nut shell, independent insurance agents are independent contractors that work for you and act on your behalf. They act as the intermediary between you and an insurance carrier. McManus Insurance and Financial, LLC is an independent agency, licensed in Maryland, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Virginia, West Virginia, and any other state where we sell insurance, to act as your legal representative or agent. We put your interests above those of any insurance company.

The following description for "Independent insurance agent" appears on Wikipedia:

"Independent insurance agents, also known as insurance sales agents or "producers", typically sell a variety of insurance and financial products, including property insurance and casualty insurance, life insurance, health insurance, disability insurance, and long-term care insurance.

Property and casualty insurance agents sell insurance policies that protect individuals and businesses from financial loss resulting from automobile accidents, fire, theft, storms, and other events that can damage property. For businesses, property and casualty insurance can also cover injured Workers Compensation Insurance, product liability claims, or medical malpractice claims.

Independent insurance agents typically represent a number of insurance companies, or "carriers", and sell the products that most appropriately meet the needs of their clients. Independent agents typically are very well trained and knowledgeable of the complexities of the insurance market and insurance law.[1] Their expertise allows them to advise their clients about appropriate amounts of insurance and insurance coverages for their particular needs. Often, independent insurance agents will work with insurance intermediaries, which obtain quotes from multiple insurance providers and passes them off to the independent agent. Working with an insurance intermediary service allows the independent agent to review many quotes and offer their clients the best policy options available. For their efforts, independent agents are paid a commission (remuneration).[2]

In addition to insurance policies, agents often sell mutual funds, annuities, and products that address wealth management, retirement and estate planning. Independent agents must be licensed by the states in which they sell insurance and financial products."

Yes, we are licensed to sell insurance polices in every Maryland county and all surrounding states, including Pennsylvania, Delaware, Virginia and West Virginia.

While most of our policies cover people, businesses and properties in the middle Atlantic states, should you have a vacation home in Colorado or another business location in Florida, we are typically able to work with our clients to provide coverage in other states as well.

Give us a call at 410-308-3699 if you have any questions.